You’re dinner guests will be AMAZED when you pull this dish out of the oven. It can be prepped that morning and popped into the oven that evening for a fancy meal that’s cooked all in one baking dish. No running around trying to get dinner on the table… you can sit back and enjoy your company.
All the flavors in this dish work wonderfully together! The sweetness of the apple paired with the smokiness of the cheese and the hint of thyme make for a magical meal that is just as tasty as it is beautiful. And speaking of beautiful… the chicken laid upon the bright red-orange sweet potatoes adds to this dishes elegance.
Did we mention it’s simplicity? Well, it you don’t even need to worry about measuring ingredients either. Simply add enough thyme and paprika to your liking and you’re good to go, which also means less mess in the kitchen… double win!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 slices of smoked gouda
- 4-8 thin slices of apple
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp of thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil.
- Mix diced sweet potatoes with olive oil, smoked paprika, thyme leaves and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Butterfly, or cut a large slit into each chicken breast.
- Layer 4-5 apple slices followed by 1 slice of smoked gouda inside each butterflied chicken breast. Sprinkle the inside with fresh thyme, salt and pepper
- Drizzle with olive oil, and a sprinkle more of salt and pepper.
- Lay the chicken on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then toss the sweet potatoes.
- Return to oven and bake until the chicken is cooked and the sweet potatoes are tender; about 10-15 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!