Hummus can be an acceptable substitute for meat on a sandwich, but often times it turns out a little dull or dry. That’s why we add avocado! It brings such a deliciously creamy texture without slapping on a layer of mayo or drenching it in some other sauce to moisten up your sandwich. Plus, you cut out a lot of the unhealthy calories without your tastebuds really knowing it.
Here, we’ve put the chickpea-avocado mash on a sandwich, but it also makes a great dip for veggies, pita chips or any other dipping vessel. It’ll last a couple days in the fridge without turning color, thanks to a squeeze of lemon. If you do opt for compiling a sandwich, another important element is the bread, so make sure you opt for something delicious, but not too heavy, otherwise you’ll be gulping down a beverage just to wash it down.
Lastly, make sure to give it a fair amount of salt and pepper to really bring out the natural flavors of the garbanzo beans and avocado. Give it a try… you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, ripe
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Combine the chickpeas and avocado in a food processor and process until smooth.
- With the food processor running, add the lemon juice
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Now, it's ready to eat on a sandwich or as a dip!