You might think, “it’s just brown rice”, but rice can sometimes be tricky to make. This recipe was adopted from Alton Brown and results in the perfect brown rice every time; never mushy!
Unlike white rice, brown rice (in this case, short grain brown rice) is considered a whole grain and chalk full of nutrients, including manganese, fiber and selenium. Also, the oil within brown rice can help lower cholesterol and whole grains, in general, have been linked to weight loss in women.
Plus, brown rice makes for a great healthy meal when combined with a simple lean protein and some steamed veggies. Eat more brown rice!
- 1.5 cups brown rice – preferred short grain varieties
- 2.5 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Add the brown rice to an 8-inch square glass baking dish, square casserole dish, or even a shallow cast iron skillet pan. Depending on your oven temp and measuring abilities, I’d suggest opting on slighting less brown rice or slightly more water… but there’s only one way to find out!
- Bring the water to a boil in a kettle and pour over the rice. Give it a quick stir and cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove form oven, fluff with a fork and enjoy!