It’s apples season and that means if you’re planning on going apple picking, you’ll be full-up on apples… lots of ’em! This recipe uses a half dozen, but can easily be doubled – or tripled – and frozen for several months, if needed.
The recipe is simple and doesn’t require a lot of attention, so let’s get started!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Inactive cook time: 4 hours, 30 minutes
Total active time: 15 minutes
Quick and easy apple butter made in the crock pot.
- 6 apples – any variety
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 lemon – juiced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light or dark brown sugar
- Remove apple cores and roughly chop.
- Put in the slow cooker on low heat.
- Add cinnamon, water and all sugars. Give a quick stir.
- With the lid on, cook for on low for approximately 4½ hours. Check occasionally to ensure it’s moist and not dried out. If needed, add a little more water.
- Turn off slow cooker and let cool slightly before placing in a food processor or blender.
- Add lemon juice and puree until smooth. If the apple butter isnt smooth or deep brown in color, return to the slow cooker for another hour or so, on high. Puree until smooth
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator. Enjoy!