If you’ve ever cooked chicken in the slow cooker, you know it’s not a perfect match. The chicken will more likely than not be dry and return an unpleasant texture. Beef, on the other hand is a perfect match for the slow cooker, as it breaks down perfectly and results in a buttery texture.
- 3 lbs chuck roast, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chiptoles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chiles
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- Combine all ingredients a slow cooker. Mix to combine. Cover and cook on low for a minimum 8 hours, or on high 5 hours. The roast should easily when shredded with a fork.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Using a couple forks, shred the beef into bite-sized pieces and cover and for another 10 minutes
- Serve the barbacoa beef in tortillas or on a bed of rice. Enjoy!
Beef barbacoa is delicious after a couple days in the refrigerator (up to 5 days).